Importing & Exporting of Electrical and Mechanical Equipment


Importing norms for electrical and mechanical equipment including but not limited to light bulbs, thermostats, irons, televisions, automobiles, gears, and brakes pertain to calculating import tax and duty based on RSP which in turn helps in determining CVD. RSP stands for retail sales price and CVD stands for countervailing duty. To import electrical and mechanical equipment, the importer has to abide by the noise pollution control stipulations of the administration. The air emission norms too have to be followed and importers have to meet the quality control parameters as well.

Some items bracketed under mechanical and electrical equipment might attract antidumping duty as per GATT norms. Ministry of Environment & Forests certification may be required to import mechanical or electrical goods. Many countries require the importer to procure a Foreign Trade License prior to processing an import order. A test or fitness report from an approved laboratory attesting the non-hazardous nature of the imported product should also be produced. Depending upon the foreign trade policies of the country, safeguard duty might also be levied. Government authorization or registration will surely be needed to ply trade as an importer.

When it comes to exporting mechanical and/or electrical equipment like machineries, automotive parts, wires, cables, electrical transformers, fluorescent lamps, electromagnetic couplings, and clutches specific export stipulations have to be followed. For instance, the exporter will have to adhere to government rules; take several precautions before and while exporting, and will be needed to process and maintain particular export documents. The distinct requirements with regards to exportation of electrical and mechanical items are as follows:-

  • Permission and approval from MOEF (Ministry of Environment & Forest)
  • Adherence to Quality Parameters of the Country Being Exported to
  • Port Regulations & Restrictions
  • Test or Analysis Report from a Accredited Laboratory
  • Licensing Document from Office of Foreign Trade
  • Air Emission Standards
  • Noise Standards



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to top